Pure Essential Oils
Essential oils have been around for centuries, maybe not the form that we use today, The Egyptians are said to have been one of the first in BC. Then we all know about the gifts to baby Jesus FRANKINCENSE & MYRRH Too the Romans who would bath in LAVENDER especially after battles, they seemed to understand that the LAVENDER would help soothe aching muscles & help take away inflammation & greatly speed up the healing proses.
But only in modern times do we have the technology to carry out proper scientific test to prove the truths from the myths.
Uses of Essential Oils
essential oils are now taken as a medicines internally, applied to the skin either directly onto a injury or skin condition or aromatherapy massage. They are also used in BURNERS & DIFFUSERS for many different things ( I have covered a few in my posts & have plenty more to add ! ).
A to Z List of the better known 100% ESSENTIAL OILS & there fragrances
- ANISEED : like you expect a liquorice like aroma.
- BASIL : clear sweet & slightly spicy.
- BERGAMOT : delicate & refreshing, a bit like lemon & orange with a slightly florally.
- BIRCH : sharp, minty, fresh.
- BLACK PEPPER : sharp & spicy.
- CARDAMON : spicy, sweet, a bit like bitter lemons.
- CEDARWOOD : dry woody.
- CHAMOMILE : fruity, a bit like apple.
- CINNAMON : sweet, musky & spicy.
- CITRONELLA : a bit sweet & lemony.
- CLOVE : spicy & very penetrating.
- CORIANDER : sweet & spicy.
- CYPRESS : slightly spicy, woody but also refreshing.
- DILL : herby, grassy.
- EUCALYPTUS : sharp & piercing.
- FENNEL : slightly spicy, herbal & floral.
- FRANKINCENSE : spicy, woody, slightly lemony.
- GARLIC : strong acrid odour.
- GERANIUM : floral a bit like rose with a hint of mint.
- GINGER : sharp, spicy, with a hint of pepper & lemon.
- GRAPEFRUIT : sharp, sweet & refreshing.
- JASMINE : exotic, flowery & sweet.
- JUNIPER : slightly woody, but very refreshing.
- LAVENDER : floral, sweet, also has herbal notes.
- LEMON : citrus, sharp & fresh.
- LEMONGRASS : sweet, strong & lemony.
- LIME : sharp & bitter-sweet.
- MANDARIN : sweet, delicate, tangy with floral undertones.
- MARJORAM : warm & slightly spicy.
- MYRRH : smoky & slightly musky.
- NUTMEG : spicy, sharp & a bit musky.
- ORANGE : citrus, zesty & refreshing.
- ORIGANUM : woody, herby & slightly spicy.
- PARSLEY : herby, very slightly spicy.
- PEPPERMINT : sharp menthol, piercing.
- PINE : fresh forest scent.
- ROSE : sweet & flowery.
- ROSEMARY : clear, refreshing, herbal.
- ROSEWOOD : floral, woody, with a hint of spice.
- SAGE : herbal & sharp.
- SANDALWOOD : exotic, woody & sweet.
- SPEARMINT : menthol, slightly sweet.
- TANGERINE : bright, sweet, citrus scent.
- TEA TREE : a bit like pines mixed with herbs.
- THYME : herbal & sweet.
- VIOLET : sweet with a slight smell of hay.
- YLANG YLANG : exotic, sweet, floral & a bit heavy.
Please do not take any essential oils without properly understanding what they can do to you, That is internally & externally !
Whilst I was writing this up, I had the diffuser going with my favourite essential oil LAVENDER relaxing me.
If you know of any popular one’s that I have missed ? please message me & I will add them on.