Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant. It has a number of health benefits & is found as an ingredient in many aromatherapy products.
The oil is a pale yellow in colour & has a thin consistency. It blends well with Lavender & Eucalyptus essential oils.
The Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil Includes :
- It can be used to stimulate the mind & improve concentration. Inhaling the oil when used in a vaporized can help focus.
- It is cooling on the skin & is calming on irritated & itchy skin. This can ease conditions such as acne, ringworm & dermatitis. Oil of peppermint can also be used to soothe sunburn, adding it to a moisturizing skin cream & applying as needed.
- The oil can help to relieve headaches, as it has pain relieving qualities. It can be blended with a carrier oil & applied to the temples. Those qualities can also be of benefit for relieving menstrual cramps. The oil can be diluted in carrier oil & massaged into the abdomen. This method can be used for conditions such as arthritis & rheumatism as well.
- Peppermint oil can be used as a general tonic for the digestive system, as it is an anti-spasmodic & can be beneficial for disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome & indigestion. It can help to prevent a build-up of gas in the digestive tract & can stimulate the production of bile & help a sluggish gallbladder. Or peppermint bath salts can be added to bath water.
- It can help relieve sinus & respiratory problems, as it is a natural decongestant & expectorant. Peppermint is often found in chest rub preparations & is beneficial when suffering from colds or conditions such as bronchitis. Using the oil in bath water or in a vaporizer can help to clear the airways.
- Oil of peppermint has antiseptic properties & can be added to a mouthwash to help with gum infections & kill bacteria.
- The oil can be found in products such as peppermint soap & other skin care products. This is an easy way to incorporate the invigorating healing properties & delightful aroma of peppermint oil into your routine. When purchasing products like this it is important to ensure they do contain the actual essential oil & not just synthetic alternative. The alternative will have no health benefits & may actually irritate those with sensitive skin.
- The oil can help to balance oil levels in the skin & hair, & peppermint shampoo is readily available for an incredibly rejuvenating experience.
- Using peppermint essential oil in massage therapy can help to stimulate the lymphatic system & encourage the body to rid itself of toxins & so help to boost the immune system.
Some people may experience a slight reaction to the peppermint oil on their skin, but it is generally safe to use.
It should not be used near the eyes & should be avoided during pregnancy. Epilepsy sufferers & those with cardiac problems should only use the oil under the direction of a qualified professional.
For more information on products please click on images
Thanks for reading, if you have any comments please leave below.